Sunday 19 February 2012

Still maneuvering changes

I had probably one of the most difficult weeks ever at the office last week. And I do not think it would get any easier in the next few weeks, but I know that every step of the way, I draw strength from my experience, my skills, my team, my family and the conviction to always "do the right thing in the right way".

The air of uncertainty exacerbated by the management changes at the office had been unsettling. When I first read the proverbial writing on the wall last November, I was driven to put my head down, put the metal on the pedal and get the work done. That was probably the only thing I could do at that time to manage the situation and get the girls at the office to focus on the road ahead. Then when the management changes were implemented a couple of weeks ago, the reality hit home very hard. There was a new world order in the office and I had to work within the constraints of that new order. Being away on vacation for a week at Siem Reap did not help but it gave me some time to mentally and emotionally cut my ties with what I had come to be familiar with and embrace the new situation.

A couple of years ago at the last job, we were put through a "response-ability" training as part of management development. It was conducted by that genius Paul Stoltz from Peak Learning. It was possibly the best investment the company had made after my green belt six sigma certification I had received at American Express. That "response-ability" skills came in handy for what I am currently experiencing at work. They were invaluable in helping me to adapt to the new management style, work at my goals and steer my team towards achieving our targets and objectives.

The girls at the office had been a wonderful source of support. I imagined that they must have felt so unsettled with these management changes, yet they put their heart and soul into each task that they were managing and supported each other through the daily juggling of work stress and management changes.

As for myself, I viewed the management changes as an opportunity to step up to the plate and "do the right things in the right way" with my skills and experience. It was also a test of my resilience and adaptability to change. Years of experience and Paul Stoltz's training taught me that when I come face to face with a bump on the road, I should always find another way to get to my destination.

I noticed that I have become quite vocal at senior management meetings. It was my way of governing my work with openness and honesty irregardless of the management changes. I wanted them to know that what they see is what they get, and that I am a consummate professional, passionate about driving the business in the right direction.

At the end of the day, like I had mentioned in my previous blog entry, I have no apologies for my brutal honesty. Over the years, I have been climbing the corporate ladder at a pace of 240km per hour, sometimes trampling over my fellow colleagues, my friends and my family in the process. At the age of 42, I have realigned my priorities and I definitely no longer have anything to prove. However, I am grateful that everyday, I am doing what I love tremendously.

Getting paid for it is a bonus. Being surrounded by a great team and a wonderful family is a blessing.

Postscript : When David read this blog entry, he said to me, "every company you have been at, you've always had a mentor. It's your turn to be one now". I love David for being my best friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment