Wednesday 2 January 2013

Thank You 2012, Welcome 2013

2 January 2013.  Back to work.  In the last few years, I used to return to work the day after a fairly boozy week-long festive celebrations, with a head-numbing hangover and my spirits irretrievably sunken into the abyss of post-celebratory depression.

However, I didn’t this year.  Not this time.  And here’s why.

Thank You 2012

I had a fairly difficult 2012 wrought with multiple changes in my work and personal life.  However, these changes were invaluable lessons which served to enrich my experiences.

1.    I learnt to appreciate that differences in personalities within a team can be very healthy as we grew closer as a “workplace family”.  The teamwork within my team amidst the challenges at work deserved praise.   No one left the boat adrift just because someone dropped the oars.  Everyone just chipped in and started rowing to get the boat back in the right direction.

Jin Kwon said, “One piece of log creates a small fire, adequate to warm you up.  Add just a few more pieces to blast an immense bonfire….individuality counts but teamwork’s dynamite.”

2.   I learnt to give people I don’t know too well, a chance and to accept that their skills and talents are just as invaluable although they may be different from mine.   

Albert Einstein said, “Everyone’s a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb trees, it’ll live its life believing it is stupid.”

3.    I learnt to accept my intuitive gifts even when some don’t.   That acceptance contributed to my using these gifts to help others.  Lenny Kravitz said, “I am not trying to change the world.  I am just offering my gift that God gave me, and if somebody is moved by it, that’s beautiful.”  My intent is very clear. I hope to keep on helping the clients who come to me for a Tarot reading, to find clarity and assurance whilst contributing part of the proceeds to my favorite charity, the Children’s Cancer Foundation.

4.   I learnt never to underestimate the power of will and determination.  David and Joel completed their first ever half marathon (with very little training and absolutely no experience), with one of them completing it in a gorilla suit, in a bid to raise funds for the Children’s Cancer Foundation.  I didn’t have much faith in the 2 of them initially as the only strenuous activity that they were accustom to, was walking from the sofa to the kitchen to look for food.  Wilma Rudolph said,” Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.”

5.   I learnt to embrace the process of gaining new knowledge with childlike curiosity.  This was something Joel taught me when he entered nursing school at the local polytechnic quite reluctantly in the beginning.  As the months rolled by, providing him hands-on experiences doing laboratory work as well as a stint at the local hospital during his industrial attachment, he realized this was his calling and that he absolutely enjoyed nursing as a career.  Samuel Johnson said, “Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.”  Joel dived into the world of nursing, embracing new skills and knowledge learnt with voracity.  I will do the same with not only my marketing skills but also with Tarot, by continuously taking up courses to learn new things that will help me be a better marketeer and a better Tarot reader.


Welcome 2013

The habit of breaking New Year resolutions render it useless for me to make them.  So I don’t.  However, I am keen on welcoming the New Year with a lot more positivity and an ambition to continuously put myself on the learning curve of life without any fear of failing.


About the writer:

The writer of this blog post is a 43 year old mother of one, who spreads her time between her day job as a marketeer at a financial institution, her hobby as a certified professional tarot reader and numerologist, and her family which includes a 19 year old son.  She's married to a Scot who has been affectionately called "The Crazy AngMo" and prays that he does not find out that the term when translated, has labeled him as a "Ginger Head".






No comments:

Post a Comment